Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Responsibilities, Priorities, and Will

Today was a good day, it would have been better if I had gotten more sleep last night but at least I didn't faint lol.

Well today I got to see the YELLOW DRESS play in school. It was supposed to be only for juniors but I got to come see since I was helping out. The play was a one-person monologue about a young high school girl who was involved in an abusive relationship. She could not get away and in the end was killed due to a fatal mistake. The purpose of the play is to show the consequences of domestic violence but it also helped me to see the various options that we have in life.

Just like in any situation, we always have more than 1 choice. The key point is how are we going to approach the situation and find an ideal solution. I realize that depending on our goals and values, each of us will choose very different options within our broad range of choices. Regardless of what we decide to do, we should always ask ourselves "is this what I really want to do?" If this question can be answered "yes" with no qualms, then we should proceed with our decision and don't look back at it with regret.

At the same time, each person has very different priorities and responsibilities. These two characterisitics are important in trying to maintain our role in life, which is also very different from one to person to another. I have finally realized that it's very wrong to try to put my priorities over others'. It's selfish and I don't like it when I see myself that way. However, at the same time, I also feel like as long as you have the WILL to advance and make time for yourself, anything can be done.

From my experience today, I have decided that from this point onward I will try my best to be honest and sincere but at the same time consider others' feelings. Sometimes that's hard to do, but I shall learn how to... I refuse to let disbelief take over my smile and cheerfulness!

P.S. I strongly encourage freshmen, sophomores, and juniors to become involved with YOUTH SPEAK. Not only have I learned so much about techniques in dealing with my problems, I have also learned a lot about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment